Laundry Detergent Safety Tips
Have you got growing children at home? Then most likely, you spend a lot of time doing laundry. Babies and children put everything in their mouths. Something is dangling from their mouth that wouldn’t usually be there when you turn your head. Then you need to apply laundry detergent safety tips at your home.
It is necessary to protect yourself and your children from laundry detergent. If you don’t do it, then you might face difficulty in your home. You can check the laundry detergent labels and carefully read them because many detergents have dangerous chemicals that can be harmful if directly applied to the skin.
Laundry rooms are hazardous because of fires and floods. To prevent these hazards, keep your laundry room clean and follow laundry detergent safety tips to protect your family members and pets. Here we have compiled some laundry detergent safety tips for you. Have a look!
What is Laundry Detergent?
Detergents (cleaning agents) for laundering include laundry detergent and washing powder. Powders and liquids are both available for making laundry detergent. In terms of volume, powdered detergents are sold twice as much as liquids in the worldwide laundry detergent market. You can also make it in your home by mixing borax and white vinegar.
Washing clothes with laundry detergent is the only way to use laundry detergent. To use laundry detergent, there are several washing machines available on the market in which you can use suitable detergent. Also, it is possible to use top load or front load washing machines to use these laundry detergents.
Laundry Detergent Safety Tips
Laundry detergents are dangerous. It is thus essential to store them carefully before and after washing the clothes. For a healthy and safe Laundry, follow the below-mentioned specific laundry detergent safety tips every day.
#1 How Should I Store Laundry Detergent Products?
Safety starts with storing. Keeping your laundry room safe is easy with these three easy-to-remember tips.
- Store Safely: To keep your children safe, keep products in their original containers with their labels intact. Keep products out of reach of children. It is never good to store other stuff in an empty detergent container, especially materials for human consumption.
- After using, close the pack: Be sure to completely close containers after every use. Make sure the detergent is stored in a place where children cannot get access to it.
- Keep detergents locked away: When storing laundry detergent, close the cabinets and drawers with a lock.
#2 Doing Laundry in a Safe Way
It would help if you safely did your laundry. You must read and follow the instructions and handle laundry with care, and don’t need to mix other chemicals in your laundry. How to do it? Let’s check out in detail!
- Follow the Instructions: The first thing you should keep in mind is that you must read the instructions on laundry detergent. And follow them carefully because these instructions are particular precautions and laundry detergent safety tips that you must follow. Always keep out of reach of your children.
- Handle with Care: You should permanently close the laundry packs with dry hands after using them. Thus, you can ensure that the packets do not dissolve before they are washed. You should clean all the mess if any spills occur. Always wash your hands after doing laundry because many laundry detergents may be harmful to human skin.
- Never Mix Other Chemicals: You should not mix any other chemicals in your laundry detergents such as Gain’s liquid and powder detergent. Because these chemicals may affect your laundry and they could cause unexpected reactions and dangerous fumes.
#3 Disposal of Detergent Product
You should always follow the recommended detergent disposal information that is indicated on the package labels. Furthermore, you must avoid storing food and any other materials in empty detergent containers. If you do this, then you may face many health problems, including stomach issues, because empty detergent containers may not be safe for your consumption items.
#4 In case of an Accident
The chemicals present in laundry detergent products may be harmful if swallowed. These chemicals, also toxic to the human eye, may cause severe eye irritation. Here are several things you can do if any unwanted accident happens in your home.
- Ask for Assistance: You should call for a poison control center or seek medical attention. If there are not responding to the call, then you should consult your doctor immediately.
- Clean with Water: If it goes in your eye, you should immediately clean it with water. Always wash with the water for at least 15 minutes because laundry detergent has many harmful chemicals that can wreck the eye’s sensitivity. And after cleaning the eyes, you must visit your doctor for a regular checkup.
- In case of Body Contact: If you get laundry detergent on your skin and clothes, remove contaminated clothing and wash your skin well with the water. Your skin might get red, itchy, or broke out if you have a skin allergy. In such a case, replacing your old cleaner with hypoallergenic laundry detergent may help.
- Ingestion: If you swallowed it accidentally, then drink the glass of milk and water immediately. You should contact your doctor or local poison control center quickly. Always read the instructions on laundry detergent safety before using it.
Washing Machine Safety
Here are some safety tips to keep your washing machine clean. Check them out!
- You should close the washing machine doors and lock them after using the machine. If your washing machine does not have a lock, you must opt for a child safety lock.
- You should avoid your children playing and hide in the laundry room.
- It is essential to read your washing machine’s manual to understand the do’s and don’ts of the machine, so you and your family can stay safe.
- It would be best if you also gave your washing machine a checkup every year. This will ensure your washing machine is in good working order.
- You must check the leaks in advance. If there is anything wrong, then you could handle it properly. It becomes more crucial when your washing machine is on the upper level.
- You should not avoid any warnings that your washing machine is indicating. For example, too soapy clothes may indicate a mechanical problem like a coin getting stuck in the machine or any other small object that may become stuck in the machine.
Laundry detergent safety is necessary for our family and home. Every one of us must follow the tips mentioned earlier to save ourselves from the harms of laundry detergent. It would help if you always kept it out of reach of your children and don’t allow them to play around this area. Also, read all the instructions mentioned in the manual for every product.
Safe and sanitary laundry must be our priority!
Read Also: How to deal with Harmful effects of Laundry?